Written first for Topshop, in association with their 2017 Bridal Collection launch
One evolving trend in the wedding world is the wondrous dessert table. A rejuvenated take on a century old tradition of Kings, Queens and High Society. Say goodbye to the cupcake and hello to the gorgeous and delicious edible delights in the form of patisseries.
By opting for a dessert table of patisseries you are treating your guests to decadent desserts which are not just visually stunning but are an explosion of flavours and textures setting your taste buds and senses into over drive. This creates an amazing buzz of excitement and makes for a epic finale to the end of your wedding meal.
Thanks to the renaissance in baking, the UK now boasts a amazing selection of top bakers and pastry chefs who are able to create the ultimate dessert table for your big day. How to find us you ask...Instagram is a great tool for following individuals and you can get to view a gallery of beautiful work to help you choose who and what style you would like.
Here is my step by step guide to creating the ultimate dessert table:
- Firstly the most important thing to inform your chosen baker or pastry chef of the wedding date, size and location of the venue. Most companies will ask for a 3 months minimum lead time when choosing a bespoke service. Make sure you do your research, choose a designer who's style you love, there is a something to suit everyone. The sky is the limit but there are options to suit every budget. You can also request that the dessert be designed around your wedding theme which can create some truly amazing and stunning creations.
- If you are planning on working with an bespoke business remember that the process can take a little longer then an off the shelf design as there are usually more details to discuss. Bespoke designs are normally priced by quotation. This may change once you have had a tasting and consultation as the exact details of your order may need to be confirmed.
- So once you have given and received information on the order it's time to book your tasting and consultation. This may require you to travel to the designers location. Now the fun really starts; you are usually given an wonderful selection of tasters to sample with your partner which have been chosen in advance. This is where you both (sometimes both!) get to choose what flavour and design combinations you want to have as desserts on the day.
- After the tasting and consultation the order is refined and all the detail are finalised, this will included the menu of desserts, decorations/designs and delivery timings. If you really want to make a statement you can liaise with the venue and florist to create a display for the desserts. The bakers /pastry chefs usually communicate with the venue to make sure the delivery storage and display is seamless on the day of the wedding!
If we're talking trends, my predictions for this year are:
- Keep it seasonal and locally sourced. Ingredients will always taste their best when grown naturally - also they will be as fresh as possible.
- I personally love to incorporate home grown ingredients in the summer months. Edible flowers are still very fashionable and add a lovely natural element to designs.
- Naturally coloured icing is also proving to be a hit. It definitely enhances the flavour of your cake/desserts.
Get in touch today to design your own bespoke dessert table selecting your combination of favourites from the patisseries collection. I'll be showcasing my creations at the launch of Topshop's new bridal collection on Thursday 13th April, in-store on Oxford Street. Come and say hello!